Drugs, Alcohol, Sex, Gambling, Smoking, Bulimia, Anorexia
An addiction is a habitual mental and physical dependence on a substance or practice beyond one's voluntary control which is characterized by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal.
A person with an addiction usually has 3 or more of the following:
Signs and Symptoms of Addiction:
- A tolerance for the substance or practice that requires increasing amounts to achieve the same effect.
- Strong cravings for the substance or practice.
- Being unable to stop using the substance or practice without going through withdrawal.
- Loss of control over frequency and amounts of drug or substance usage.
- Preoccupation with the substance or practice.
- Inability to meet obligations to family, job, or other personal interests because of the substance or practice.
- Physical or psychological deterioration due to use of the substance or practice.
The tendency to have addiction problems can be an inherited trait passed from parents to their children. Addiction can also co-exist with a psychiatric illness or physical disability (dual-diagnosis).
Some of the most notable addictive substances or practices are:
- Drugs (Prescription & Illicit)
- Eating disorders (Bulimia & Anorexia)
While there are many different substances or practices that people can become addicted to, many people are non-specific addicts. These people may be addicted to one or more substances/practices but can change addictions. Southworth Associates works to intervene, consult, and monitor the addict, not the addiction.
Southworth Associates can provide all their clients with individualized intervention service regardless of the addiction or dual-diagnosis. This individualized service includes:
- 24-hour addiction intervention service: The availability of personal intervention assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Client Escort Monitoring Assistance: Intervention clients of Southworth Associates have the option of having their loved one escorted by the interventionist to a selected treatment facility following the successful intervention.
- Multi-age intervention services: Southworth Associates prides itself on its ability to respectfully provide individualized service to all age groups, because all ages suffer from impairments that need treatment.
- Bilingual Intervention Services: Southworth Associates is pleased to provide their clients with the availability of bilingual addiction interventionists skilled in other languages and cultures.